Monday, September 5, 2022

Orange Crush

I think I’m patient.

53 minutes after
my pizza is due,
I know I am not.

The best I can do is chat
with fellow suff’rers:
older door dash chap,
mom and her seven-year-old,
mother of teen boys.

Complaining binds us;
a mutual enemy
forges fast allies. 

I’m hot and ready.
I'm supremely frustrated.
Extra most madddest.

Others come and go.

I begin to conspire
with my gollum self
about my precious
ring of powerf’lly scented
dough, sauce, cheese, toppings.

We plot and script out
the politest way to ask
to whine to someone,
to wheedle our way
to two free pizza coupons
or something greater.

The grandma cashier
who should be retired and
playing with grandkids
- she who I despise
as the company’s face but
mostly pity - comes.

Apologizes.

Offers a free 2-liter.

I choose Orange Crush
and gush gratitude
for being seen, understood
before I went and
embarrassed myself
with a public display of
hangry aggression.

Am I spineless then?
Not standing up for myself?
Confrontation shy?
Accepting this cold
soda pop as recompense
for an hour of life?

Gollum shrieks out, “Take
action, Precious… revenge! Give
a taste of your pain!”

I take the pizzas and give a wave. 

I’ve got my spine. I’ve
got my self-restraint. And I’ve
got my Orange Crush.

1 comment:

  1. Caesars Ghost
    "I, we can't afford to be patient FORTY FIVE MIN" hissed through his teeth
    Somehow over the oven
    the blood in my ears
    It's so hot
    And nothings ready
    I can still hear the valued customers
    in the waiting room we've made
    Grumble, gripe, growl
    Two more Doordarsh orders appear onscreen
    I'm not even supposed to be here tonight
    To many pepperoni
    Pick em up
    Pick it up
    Slide down
    "Olives out!"
    Left "behind" Left fold straightface Right
    "Here you are Ms. Sorry for the" back up "wait please have a good night"
    Pray even for your enemies
    God how quick I make them enemies
    "Need a sup & three erb still"
    The tally runs down
    Until the drive through revs up flinch
    Feet wonder at how I move so naturally
    And yet never stop
    Order take
    Line
    Make
    Box
    Burn
    Box
    "Supe up"
    Deliver
    Fifty three min
    Customer retention
    "Here you are Sir Sorry for the" back "wait please" (leave) "take a 2 Liter & have a good night"

    I never do stop moving really,
    even my heart beats in a temple
    the customer and I part ways
    praise the restraint and patience of the departed.

    ReplyDelete