Tuesday, February 28, 2017

The Pillow Sings a Siren Song

It's
odd I see
the pillow as a
white-capped wave
containing
one mermaid
singing a siren song
each morning
tempting me to stay in bed.

It's the
oddest sea
to be sailing on -
these nightly visions
with the only sail
my thin bedsheet,
catching all my drool
as I dumbly gaze out
at Circe's dreamlike world.

It's an
audit - see
how this daily test
investigates the solvency
of my will,
inspecting my obeisance
to each day's taxing
list of to-dos.

In this
ode I see us
as the crew,
hastily and vainly
stuffing feathers in our ears
as if to block the pillow's siren song,
only to find its sound
is coming from within.

2 comments:

  1. This is great! Silly pillow sirens,,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! They are certainly quite silly but also serious in their regular endeavors to keep us asleep!

    ReplyDelete