Wednesday, March 9, 2016

The Star Wars Bed-time Story


Since middle school,
whenever I've had trouble sleeping,
I've watched Star Wars.
Not that it's boring -
quite the contrary.

I've attentively viewed it
countless times - 
memorizing every line,
investigating every character,
researching every ship.

It's to the point now
where Star Wars is less of a movie
and more of a familiar bedtime story
that Uncle George tells me
whenever I have trouble sleeping.

I get so absorbed in the story so quickly,
forgetting my sickness or worries,
that I'm down for the count
before Darth Vader's been able 
to lift, strangle, and toss
Captain Antilles to the floor
of the Tantive IV, Leia's Corellian Corvette.

The volume doesn't need to be up
and I don't need to watch the screen;
I can see and hear it all in my mind,
keeping pace based on certain cues:
blasts, roars, John Williams' score.

And even after using this trick
for over 15 years
the efficacy hasn't faded, 
though if I have several rough nights in a row,
I'll go from A New Hope, to Empire, to Jedi.

I can't express how much this means
to have, when life gets too low and mean,
a ready and reliable dream
so universal and personal and
real
it convinces me I must be
asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment